Thursday, January 17, 2008

EXPECT UNEXPECTED!!!

It seems like a day full of unexpected events. It started with me getting up on time and reaching college on dot. The next surprise was completing my test on time without waiting for MJ to shout out, "Hey folks! You are slow like tortoises."

Test went fine and it was then that I realised that high time, I should start writing full words. The realisation came in when I had to keep cutting down the short forms that I kept on writing accidentally. Not to mention capitalisations at the right place. The final blow was the spell check question. I do not know what made me look up, at the heading, which had the name of the organisation that gave this test last year. "The Indian Express", it said.

Remembering the fact that I was running short of time and had to answer another four questions, I again looked at the words I had to correct. Occassion, Annonymous, Defecit, Exonarate, Halucination, Reconnaisance, Dogmateism, Butteress, Anaesthisia and Recieve. It looked like child's play to me. 'Occassion is of course OCCASION...one sec is it, OCASSION...nah! Or is OCCASSION right...?' I knew the spelling was wrong and also the right spelling but why was I confused. Maybe because it had been real long time since I spelled the word as a whole. Sheeeeeesh! And this confusion went on for the next nine words as well. It's enough. And I decided not to use Short Message Service language anymore. In fact not just that, but to take care of punctuations, capitals, paragraphs and everything else. But that was not the end of it.

As we walked out of the classroom 1B, I got a message from my co-editor, Kunal, that he will get late to the college. And he asked me to handle the situation if MJ gets interested in him in his absence. Thinking about how to handle the situation for myself I came to lab 4 where Group B has to work. MJ got some press releases with herself and asked us to write reports out of it, not to mention, without giving any peace to our minds. Unfortunately, being editor for the week MJ was my constant companion until the last minute and for the entire hour I kept explaining her how 'my' reporters are nowhere to be seen along with their stories.

I spent about 10 minutes hunting them down. Iyer, as always managed a clean sweep. He is not filing any stories this week. While I was randomly going through the folders for this week's production, I stumbled upon another unexpected. MJ wants business, arts and culture, and science stories from metroving section. If everything goes into other sections, what are we going to have in metroving? No clue.

As if MJ read my mind, suddenly she pops up with, "Miss Editor, where are the stories for metroving?"

Nation page editors are still missing and no one knows:
1: Where are they?
2: What are their mobile numbers?
3: What are they filing?
4: How far have they reached with their stories?
5: Are they going to be seen anywhere?And these questions still linger on.

And the usual and the most unwanted thing happen. MJ asks, "Editors, have you heard of the word 'panic'? When are you planning to do that?"

Now since you cannot ignore MJ’s very high-pitched voice, I did hear her say that, I looked up. She was glaring at me and it definitely was not a coincidence. She opened her mouth to add value to what she just said but then shut it without saying anything. It was then that I realized that I had a very stupid, blank expression on my face. Something like raised eyebrows and twisted lips. She just walked off and I turned back to my laptop to continue typing this entry.


PS1: I'm alive in spite of being in lab 4 with MJ for so long.
PS2: I'm feeling good that I finally managed to stick on my resolution on using complete spellings.
PS3: MJ or Mahalakshmi Jayaram is our professor and we work under her.

No comments: